Sunday, November 23, 2014

Thanksgiving & the Circus

This weekend was one for the books.

Saturday:
Gulya took me to go get a haircut. I usually get a haircut every 6 weeks or so. The last time I got a haircut was in August... so it was long overdue. Which is ironic because I ended up with the shortest haircut I've received in long time. There literally is not a single curl on my head. But hey, at least I have time to grow it out before I come home!

After the haircut, Jessica and I went to Kropotkinskaya to check out Christ Our Savior Cathedral. Due to the fact that I was wearing ripped jeans and Jess was in leggings, they wouldn't let us in... talk about awkward. Haha but at least we got a picture outside?

Christ Our Savior

Tsar Alexander II 
We wandered around the streets a little bit but there wasn't much to see (other than the statue pictured above).

At 4:15pm our group met up at Park Kultury to go to the CIRCUS. That's right. The CIRCUS. Photography was technically not allowed so I only have this picture....


However, Madison was awesome and got some pictures on her phone. She sent them to me to include on this blog post! :)
Bear hula hooping!

Camels

One of my two favorites parts!

My other favorite part! 


My favorite part.

Bear hula hooping!

A bear dancing!

It was quite a spectacular show. As you can see, they had all sorts of acrobatics and performances. Other routines had dogs, cats, birds, monkeys, horses, and cougars. I thought it was great :)

Also, shout out to my older brother, Andrew - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! 

Sunday
Our group gathered together at Lydia and Colby's apartment for Thanksgiving. It turned out as quite the success! We all brought a different part of a Thanksgiving dinner. I personally chipped in salsa & Doritos (that was a lame pun). Not very Thanksgiving-ish, but everything else was taken! We also did a white elephant gift exchange.  

Happy Thanksgiving from our family to yours :)

Following dinner, we took a walk (to give us some time before dessert). There was this awesome overlook.

We then ventured further into the park to the "Blood River." Which is actually just a shine with blessed water. Some people brought cups and we all tried some. I can now check "drink holy water" off my bucket list! 
It's the best picture I could get in the dark...
We came back and ate desserts. Once again, our group nailed it. Two kinds of pie with ice cream. It was a great night. We did Thanksgiving early because this Friday we leave on another vacation to Suzdal and Vladimir (part of the "Golden Ring" of Russia). 

Last but not least, I want to say a few things I'm thankful for.
-My family, all their support and love
-My AMAZING group who is my family here in Russia
-The opportunity to be here in Russia. I've learned and grown so much
-My kids. They make each day better and I love being their teacher
-Gulya, our awesome coordinator. She's so dedicated to us
-A working and able body/mind. And that I am literate! 
-My membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. My testimony and knowledge of Jesus Christ gives me so much happiness and hope every day
-That I am an American. Living in Russia has shown me how blessed I am to live in a free country
-I'll be home for Christmas. Utah, 23 days until I see your snow-capped peaks again :)

Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving from Moscow,
Teacher Paul 


1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, Paul! My God bless you on the rest of your stay in Russia, and bring you safely home to your loved ones! Love you!

    ReplyDelete